Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-12-25 08:49 | Report Abuse

Pitfalls in the stock market: A reflection of the year 2013 “We do not learn from experience; we learn from reflecting on experience.” — John Dewey In the stock market, we always hear about success stories. They are glorifying and morale boasting. Seldom do we hear people telling us they have lost money investing/speculating in the market. It is demoralizing and not good for the self esteem. People would look down on you (I don’t care much). However, the fact remains that most people lost money in the stock market. You don’t have to agree with me, but this is what the research has shown: In their 2009 paper on “option trading and individual investor performance” , Rob Bauer, Mathijs Casemans and Piet Eichholtz examine the performance and persistence of individual investors trading at a Dutch online broker. Using a database consisting of more than 68,000 accounts and eight million trades in stocks during January 2000 to March 2006, they find that: During 2000-2006, the average investor has negative alphas, meaning the return is below the market return. Not even the top tenth of performance manages to beat the market consistently. Those in the bottom tenth of performance lose more than 90% of value. So with the above, I always wary about the lemons in the stock market. My basic principle in investing is always to be prudent; focus on the downside and the upside will take care of itself (Mark Seller). So what are some of the things to look for to avoid the downside? Let us look at some of the hot Bursa stocks which some people in i3 forums asked me about in the past one year as shown in Table 1 below in the appendix. First I must clarify that I really didn’t know those stocks well except from their past performance as shown in their financial reports and their business models. My comments were strictly about what I think about their fundamentals. I have most of the time qualified that I would not know about their future price performance. Yet very often, people ridiculed me for being “wrong” as some of those stocks I opined that one should avoid, went up in price subsequently. However, I must also say that when I put forward a strong negative opinion of certain stocks, which I seldom do because of the unpredictability of the market, they often come out to be quite true. Hibiscus For example I have very strong and negative opinion on SPACs, Special-Purpose Acquisition Companies (See link below). http://wealthmanagement.com/investment/staying-out-murder-holes I cannot figure out how an investment process can be based on hope; hope of the opportunity to strike oil big while other bigger international companies are denied of that opportunity. Hibiscus share price was chased up by 80% from RM1.50 to RM2.70 in just four months from August to December 2013. This was just because it has acquired a stake in a drilling company, presumably somebody admired this Dr Kenneth so much and sold him this wonderful top-notched technology cheaply. Its share price just jumped because they were given some licenses to explore oil in some countries, presumably they are more deserving than many international oil exploration companies. Its share price can also jumped just because of rumours that when or when the drilling machine would reach the destination, and when start drilling, as if oil would definitely ooze out as soon as the drill rig is lowered. Well, it is still early to know how many investors/punters will make money, but already many retail punters are spilling blood everywhere as its share price has dropped by 32% to RM1.84 in just three days and suspended in trading for two days. We don’t know what would happen when it resumes its trading tomorrow on Boxing Day. In investing, sometimes too much positive feelings can be detrimental to your ioutcome. Smartag and Asia Media Group There is a group of “investors” who are closely knitted and I was asked about two stocks; Smartag and Asia Media Group and I did not give positive comments about them as they expected and hence I was not welcomed. Well, that was not my problem. Again investing in these two companies are also based on hope, and positive feelings; Smartag has been hoping, and still hoping after so many years, that the Royal Customs Department would give them the ultra lucrative contracts of RFID tracking the containers (?). There were also plenty of positive feelings among the group and practical holding each other’s hand. At the mean time, it has no business, and burning cash from the IPO money every year. There is not much cash to burn any more. Its share price has dropped by 45% from 18 sen a year ago to just 8 sen at the close on Christmas Eve, not a good Christmas present. Its share price was actually more than 40 sen 2-3 years ago. A good read about Smartag here for smart people. http://whereiszemoola.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/smartag-sinks-deeper.html To be continued

2 people like this.

16 comment(s). Last comment by tonylim 2013-12-26 09:33

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-12-25 08:52 | Report Abuse

AMedia is a stock which is very dangerous for retail investors. It appears to have reasonably good earnings, and its PE ratio at 13.5 sen one year ago was a low single digit too. It even has good cash flows from operations. Its balance sheet is also nothing to fault about. But why is that Amedia required to exercise cash calls in right issues and private placements so often? A thorough screening through its financial statements show something is not right, a financial shenanigan?

http://www.intellecpoint.com/search?q=asia+media

AMedia’s share price has since fell from the adjusted price of 13.5 sen a year ago to 8 sen now, for a drop of 41%. It was even much higher than 13.5sen before that. There appeared to be a lot of share price manipulation, pumped and dumped, by insiders too. Plenty of blood is spilling everywhere for these two stocks.

KNM
Another of my “favourite” lemon which I was frequently asked is KNM. There are many loyalists for KNM, despite all the deceits, spinning from the major shareholder and management. I don’t know why but I guess it is hope again. KNM was the darling of the market. It had big plans; foraying and making its foot prints all over the world with big acquisitions. It reminds me of Enron. Each time I was asked about it, I gave bad comments.

KNM has been losing money almost every year in his operations. Cash ran out and many cash calls were made. Even when it said it made money I have doubt about it because it often did not reflect in its cash flows and balance sheet. Some may say. “don’t worry, it has a lot of assets”, but its assets are of very low quality; PPE of which not sure what is the realizable value, doubtful receivables and work in progress, inventories, goodwill and intangibles. Its debts and liabilities are huge. It may end up the only value KNM has is just an option value, minimum of zero and something questionable.

KNM’s share price dropped by just a couple of sen a year ago to 43.5 sen now. Actually it has nothing much to drop already. The blood has already spilled years ago. Yet many punters are still hoping that the insiders will fry the shares for them to make money. KNM’s share price did rise up to 60 sen middle of this year, but I am sure who are the people who made money, and who were the ones who lostt. A good place to read about the comedian story about KNM is as appended below:

http://whereiszemoola.blogspot.co.nz/search?q=knm

When people asked me if they should keep the stock, I like to cite this Sioux Indian proverb:

• When you realize that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

China Stationery Limited
CSL is a typical stock which punters should avoid. There are many more of these kind of companies in Bursa. Its annual report shows they are making tons of money with plenty of cash flows and cash in bank. And yet the major shareholders dumped the share, millions of them. Yes, he is very noble and wants to share and enrich the public with the huge earnings the company made and its cash in banks. So he offers the stock at 75 sen to the public when it has 19 sen earnings, and 70 sen cash per share. I fact now you can buy CSL at 19.5 sen. What a bargain of the century!

Guan Chong Berhad
Guan Chong Berhad is recommended by a famous investor a few months ago (I have great respect for this famous investor, I really do, but everybody can make mistakes). It appears to be making profit year in year out. However, few people looked a little deeper; why is it the total debts have been increasing at such a fast pace, and that there is hardly any cash flows from operation, not to mention about free cash flows. Something is definitely not right. Why can’t GCB show us the cash? Are they speculating (not hedging) on Coco future? Finally the straw broke the camel’s back. Its last quarterly financial results finally showed a loss of 12m. Not much but is it the end of the story? I doubt so. I think there are still a lot of skeletons behind the closet. Its share price dropped by 22% from RM1.80 to RM1.40 since then. Interesting stories to read at the same link below about GCB.

http://whereiszemoola.blogspot.co.nz/search?q=gcb

Yeah, it is good to practice value investing; buy companies at a good price using PE ratio, dividend yield. We must understand what this “E” means for that particular company, where did the company get the money from paying that good dividend.

To be continued

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-12-25 08:54 | Report Abuse

Ivory Properties
Ivory property was also recommended by the same famous investor. Earnings appears to be good relative to price. However since listing, I see no money from its operations, but more and more debts. Financial report is doggy with one-time revenue as gain and cash flow from ordinary business. Recently it even announced taking over the Plaza Rakyat for redevelopment. Don’t know if it has the financial and technical capability to do so. Its share price has risen from 49 sen at the beginning of the year to 77 sen in May, but dropped back to 58 sen now. For sure there were people making money from the rise, but I think more people, especially retail investors losing money on the share price was on the downward side.

London Biscuits
A similar story is about London Biscuits. Made very good earnings also relative to its price. But the plot is the same; no cash flow, increasing debts, management manipulations of PPE etc as shown in the following article here:

http://klse.i3investor.com/blogs/kianweiaritcles/40683.jsp

Sometimes a company in a good and durable food business may not be a good investment.

Malaysian Pacific Corporation Berhad
MP Corp is another company which investors live with hope; hope that the management sells their land, which they valued the same high value as the neighboring one which was transacted, and distribute the cash to them. The company is doing nothing at the moment except paying for the costs of holding some land and an investment property estimate to worth a lot of money, if sold. I was told off that I was not in their league of making multi-baggers from the market as them and was asked to stick to my Dutch Lady and BAT (Actually I didn’t have any of these stocks) to earn the 10% return a year when the share price of MP Corp spiked to 54 sen . This was what I said:

• But remember, even though everyone is making money except you, it is ok.

MP Corp share price has since retreated by 30% to 38 sen now.

In actual fact,It is always not easy to predict if a company would do well in the future and that its share price would rise. It is much easy to see if a company is likely not to do well. So I like to remember what Charlie Munger says:

• “You don’t have to pee on an electric fence to learn not to do it.” - Charlie Munger

KC Chong on Christmas Day in Auckland 2013

Table 1: Return of some stocks in Bursa
No. Company Ref Price Price 24/12/13 Gain/loss
1 Pmetal 2.520 2.320 -7.9%
2 GCB 1.800 1.400 -22.2%
3 Ivory 0.550 0.580 5.5%
4 PW 0.720 0.880 22.2%
5 Rsawit 0.850 0.785 -7.6%
6 LonBisc 0.680 0.675 -0.7%
7 KNM 0.455 0.435 -4.4%
8 MPCorp 0.450 0.380 -15.6%
9 MKLand 0.330 0.360 9.1%
10 Careplus 0.315 0.310 -1.6%
11 CSL 0.750 0.195 -74.0%
12 AnComLB 0.185 0.185 0.0%
13 Smartag 0.180 0.100 -44.4%
14 Amedia 0.135 0.080 -40.7%
15 NovaMSC 0.065 0.065 0.0%
16 Hibiscus 1.900 1.840 -3.2%

xx Average xxxx xxxx -11.6%
xx FTSE Mid70 12294 14043 +14.2%

Ooi Teik Bee

11,167 posts

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > 2013-12-25 08:59 | Report Abuse

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > Dec 23, 2013 07:16 AM | Report Abuse X

Dear Fortunebull,
To be honest with you, I am a kiasu trader or investor. I dare not touch Hibiscus even though the technical chart is very good. The price had crossed > 2.14, which is a breakout chart now. Technically, I should buy base on the chart, but I dare not.
Best of luck to you.
Thank you.
Ans : Luckily, I am a kiasu trader or investor. I always avoid this type of stock.
Thank you.

Posted by faberlicious > 2013-12-25 09:10 | Report Abuse

kc,nice list of stocks. 2014 Stock Picks To Holland !

KCLoh

2,599 posts

Posted by KCLoh > 2013-12-25 09:23 | Report Abuse

PMCorp also drop 40% from high! LOL

calvintaneng

54,638 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2013-12-25 09:45 | Report Abuse

I really enjoyed reading about these land mines by Kcchongnz. I am doing some "catch up" as I have been out of KLSE for 3 long years.

KCLoh,

Well, on 20th September 2013 I first promoted PM Corp when it was 15 Cents with net Cash of 18 Cents. I was told at AGM That there will be a Cash Payout. Price overshot on the upside to 37 cents. Since the unfortunate news of CFO Mr. Ho's resignation price has retraced to 21.5 cents - down 72% from the peak at 37 Cents. But price is still up 43% within 3 months.

I saw you in Weida Forum. 4 years ago in 1999 I bought Weida at 35 Cents. I also bought KFima at the same price of 35 Cents. Both Weida & Kfima were rejected by the "experts" of year 1999. I see that you are happily holding Weida at over RM1.70 currently.

After this bout of selling I think PM Corp still has a future.

The Most Important Is We Do Still Make Money In The Long Run. Anyway, I have learned a lot from Kcchongnz, OTB & also your postings.

Merry Christmas!

inwest88

5,628 posts

Posted by inwest88 > 2013-12-25 09:52 | Report Abuse

# kchongnz - Good morning ! What a well written piece of article. It's an eye opener especially for newbies who just jump in on hearing news (or rumors ?) about these companies. Sometimes even seasoned players also fall for it.

Wishing you a blessed and joyous Christmas and a grand New Year.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-12-25 11:12 | Report Abuse

I have 2 lemons which are Notion and JTiasa which constitute 10% of my portfolio. Both suck.

“In investing, sometimes too much positive feelings can be detrimental to your outcome”: bsngpg is one of them.

Great Posting. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

ipomember

615 posts

Posted by ipomember > 2013-12-25 12:46 | Report Abuse

by far this is the best posting from kcchongnz as for me. Understand your risk before investing into a company is important and in fact, spotting a financial shenanigans can be easy or can be hard and it is a bless that there are bloggers who wrote on it and now it is highlighted by kc. In investing sometimes i might be confident and reading more can curb my overconfidence. In the above example, i learnt that aside from financial statement, the actions of director as well as the corporate exercise of a company is equally important to help us in identifying a bad investment? Like myself, i am always aware and sometimes afraid to buy into a cheap valuation company? We often see people recommend some stocks which are traded in low pe, huge discount to NTA , or high DY which seems attractive? However, before one decides to buy, its worth to ponder hard whether that particular stock is a value buy or a value trap? I always believe price is driven by market and i dont think market is stupid to let a so called "undervalue" stock to remain undervalue especially with the advance of technology we can easily used the search engine to filter out the stocks with our own criterias. With that in mind i am lucky to avoid those stocks mentioned above, however it is not adequate. I might still trap in AMEDIA(i assumed) in which i love a stocks with solid growth on its revenue and earning? If i know to analyse a company by looking on their past corporate actions, the cash call alone will at least make me aware and probably avoid into it? Director selling their stakes after the cash call is very fishy and i think i will definitely avoid the stock. In fact, i do not mean that whatever stock that is undervalue is not a good investment( altho i always think that good stock doesn't come cheap), but one has to understand the reason behind. Yes it is not easy and most of the time i cant tell why a stock remain undervalued. If anyone still remember, one or two years back most of the property companies is remain undervalued, but once the Iskandar project is getting the limelight from most of the research house, earning a few baggers is easy if you took profit middle of this year. How about this year? Previously, everyone knew that furniture stocks are undervalue, but why is it so after so many years? and now it is being re-rated by the market? For me understand the business is important and when the situation turns in favor of the company(i merely refer to those cyclical industry), its more likely a value buy than a value trap. I am glad that i able to pick up latitud tree and i admit that luck is involved. Lastly i would like to thanks Kcchongnz and wish everyone of you merry Xmas.

Ntpboon

664 posts

Posted by Ntpboon > 2013-12-25 12:48 | Report Abuse

新手如想在Bursa股海中生存,这是必读之佳作。
感谢kcchongnz 先生,又让我上了一课

KC Loh

13,701 posts

Posted by KC Loh > 2013-12-25 13:33 | Report Abuse

wrong kcloh, calvintaneng LOL

try spotting the difference! :)

KC Loh

13,701 posts

Posted by KC Loh > 2013-12-25 13:35 | Report Abuse

and 1999 was not four years ago. which age are you living in? :)

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-12-26 07:56 | Report Abuse

Posted by bsngpg > Dec 25, 2013 11:12 AM | Report Abuse

I have 2 lemons which are Notion and JTiasa which constitute 10% of my portfolio. Both suck.

bsngpg, I don't think those two stocks are lemons. JTiasa has durable business in palm oil and timber. They will continue to make money and likely to give you the normal return of 10%-12% a year, even with your high purchase price, I believe.

The problem is this type of business, or rather commodity prices is cyclical. You happened to buy the stock right at the peak when palm oil price was reaching the peak, and at the same time, too positive feelings that prices will continue to rise. Hence you paid a high price.

That is why sometimes we value a stock, we have to think about cycles, and the swing of the pendulum. It is inevitable.

Part of Notion's business become obsolete. They will improve and keeps up to the new technology, i think. And they still have the good camera division which has been doing pretty well all the time. NASDAQ is picking up now, and may be Notion will follow suit.

calvintaneng

54,638 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2013-12-26 08:18 | Report Abuse

KC Loh,

I beg your pardon, it was year 2009. Anyway, I bought them cheap but sold way too early. For year 2014 I cannot find many cheap bargains. Have a nice day everybody.

KC Loh

13,701 posts

Posted by KC Loh > 2013-12-26 08:34 | Report Abuse

No problem. I thought it was a typo too!No

tonylim

4,796 posts

Posted by tonylim > 2013-12-26 09:33 | Report Abuse

Calvin, I entered the market in 2009 during the exit of pak lah with abt half a million. It didnt talk long to double up. stock Selections based on bottom up approach with 5 counters are share warrants

Post a Comment
Market Buzz